Pages

Translate

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Life Lessons from a Porcupine

 Yesterday I willed my tired self out into the world, since the snowless days of Alaska are almost gone once more.  I made my way to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, which is always a good way to chill out and spend a day.  I met somebody new when I was there.  Twix.  Twix has been around humans since she was a wee porcupette -- she was found orphaned at just one day old with her umbilical cord still attached.  She was raised at the Conservation center, on goat milk, and seems to be quite alright with life with lots of humans to peer at, and a spacious cage with an awesome log to play on, and chicken wire to climb.  Hey, it beats traffic on the Glenn Highway.

Twix 


As I watched little Twix crawl about her cage, quick to come up to me and snuffle as she took in my scent, with large and expressively cute little porcupine nostrils, I realized she looks quite happy despite the fence.  Then I thought, orphaned, in a cage, but having the time of her life walking on her log, seeing the sites, and just being safe and warm and fed and entertained.  We all have our cage...maybe it's your job, your headspace, or something else.  But that doesn't mean you can't take joy in good snacks and your favorite log, and enjoy the day.


So there you have it.  Today's life lesson, from Twix the porcupine.
Isn't she the cutest!?

Now get out there and have your best day!


Don't Worry Be Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment