Pages

Translate

Monday, February 27, 2023

Alaskan Night Lights






I don't think there has ever been a Sunday where I couldn't wait for the afternoon to end and the sun to set.  Trust me, it's not because I am looking forward to Monday morning at work.  It's because there was a solar storm.  The Bz's were in the minuses, the kPa's were legendarily high...and it was broad daylight in Alaska.  So I cooked supper early,  wadonned my layers, and watched for the sun to set.    I had my toque on inside as the sun slipped below the mountains, and it was barely Twighlight as I set my lawnchair out in the frozen driveway and took a glass of wine outside in my many layers to stare up at the night sky and wait.  Now, the lights normally come out a bit later, so pretty sure the neighbors thought I was nuts, sitting in my lawnchair in the cold at 9pm.  A situation that unfolds like this has two outcome options...legendary, or ridiculous.  I was hoping my preparation wouldn't jinx my luck at saying Lady Aurora.

I knew it was going to be an early show because the international aurora nerd network was showing brilliant displays in Scotland all afternoon, and the international aurora cams were lighting up.  I was really hoping to catch some reds...I have never seen that before.

Well, I didn't have to wait long.  By 9:30 I got everything I was hoping for.  


When I quickly looked at the shots and tried to pick a favorite, it was hard tonight, but it might be this one.

 
Or maybe this one...the row of colors was so beautiful.  I shall forever think of this one when I think about Alaska Nights and Lights.


The slower moving lights were a little crisper and easier to catch.  I was so blessed to get all the reds.




This one I really liked because of the fluffy snow in the foreground.


On this one I saw a bird.




And, as the Northern Lights do, they explode into super strong bursts of color.


I see an angel in this one.


Coudn't even begin to try to get the whole display in frame.


Rivers in the sky, winding their way through the mountains.


There was so much light in the sky at times it seemed like one big ball of glowing green.



And then it softened up just a bit before the reds started to fade away.


Giving one more sashay across the skyline.


Showing up the moon...kinda felt like the long ago days of clubbing with all the lights lol.


To be honest, I prefer nights like these now (compared to nights out indoors in crowded places).


I have never seen the lights cover this much sky in my little view before.


There aren't enough words for this gorgeous display tonight.  Enjoy.  Morning will be here soon, I best head to bed.  Thank you Alaska....that was fantastic!











Worth it!  Even if I ended up just using my phone again!

No comments:

Post a Comment