Pages

Translate

Saturday, November 13, 2021

Dang I love days like these

I've worked easier jobs.  I've lived more glamorous days.  I miss both of those things on many days.  But not this day.  After 14 inches of fresh powdery snow on Wednesday night, today was the inaugural walk in my first set of snowshoes.  And it was fabulous.



Fortunately, I chose well in choosing a spot to call home, and I was literally able to amble out of the front door, strap on the snowshoes, and be in this in about 100 steps.

I wanted to do the first walk right by the house, since I wasn't really sure if there was a knack or skill involved with this.  If nothing else, I could crawl home if it ended badly.  It's possible I'm doing it wrong, but really it was just walking.  And a lovely walk indeed.


Down by the river there were some moose tracks, and a lone eagle flew overhead, probably amused by my delight at lumbering through the deep snow.  It was nice, and quiet, and people free -- my favorite weekend things!



My summer hiking poles work well in the winter as well.  You can add "snow baskets" to the poles in winter, but the powder was so deep and soft neither pole nor snowshoe was really staying right on top of it.  It was nice to not have to worry about ice or slipping on the downhill parts.  Looks like it will still be a while before I can walk on the river.  Will wait til I see a few fat tire bikers cross safely first.


Yup.  Days like these make the harder ones worth it.  Thanks Alaska.  Stay awesome.














No comments:

Post a Comment