Pages

Translate

Friday, November 26, 2021

(F)Rosy-Cheeks on a Peaceful Black Friday

 


It's always nice when Thanksgiving falls right before the weekend.  In this case that leads into a 4 day weekend.  Yesterday was spent with a couple of old friends and a few new, and a large afternoon feast.  I saw it was still cold, -17C, and debated spending a quiet day indoors, maybe doing some Black Friday shopping.  I quickly discovered there are new shipping surcharges being applied from my favorite online go to shops, and decided if I need it I can find it locally.  So I made one very quick stop in a surprisingly quiet big box store, and felt a bit inspired by the fresh snow on all the trees.

So I tried to find some warm layers and headed down to the Eagle River Nature Center set on a quick walk.  I knew this time I didn't need the snowshoes, and since it was already late afternoon just did a quick lap to the viewing decks, up the start of dewmound trail, back down the cumulous connector, and up to 4 corners.  I was hoping I might time it for a twilight moose in the river...but it was not meant to be today.

It was, however, a gorgeous walk in the woods.  The Eagle River Nature Center is a great place to get out into the woods, without being too far out on your own.  There is a staffed visitor center from 10-5 most days, and well marked and groomed trails.  You are always likely to run into a few people (and dogs), but also never likely to feel crowded.  The trails are well marked, so anyone visiting out of town can feel quite relaxed on these trails.  This time of year most of the visitors are doing some cross country skiing.



As it was a little later in the day, the light was just starting glow, and reflect off the waters and mountains like pink marshmallow fluff.  But no moose for me today.


I have never seen this very shallow stream completely frozen over.  In the summer salmon make their way all the way back here, dozens of miles inland.  Today it is just me and the twilight listening to water move slowly by.


I admit my cheeks got a little rosy (or (F)rosy) in the cooler weather, but it was worth it!  Happy one of my work colleagues knitted me a nice warm scarf last winter as well!



No harm in getting a little cold, when it's just a short drive back to your cozy warm house and cozy warm cat (who insists you keep your distance until properly thawed.  Cats are judgy like that).


No comments:

Post a Comment