Pages

Translate

Sunday, November 14, 2021

Winter Wonderland

 It was crisp out today, even  by Canada standards.  I threw the snowshoes in the car and headed to the Eagle River Nature Center hoping to find some powdery trails to practice a bit more in.  I was surprised to see my car panel read -20C outside (yes, I still cannot speak Fahrenheit).  I was also surprised that I was still gung ho to go, since that's pretty cold by standards in the Anchorage bowl (it's usually a bit warmer being near the coast/inlet)

So glad I did!  It was an absolutely gorgeous, desolate, quiet day.  Just the sounds of my own feet crunching in the snow, and the odd woodpecker rhythmically pecking away.  I encountered a handful of people but less than 10 in 2 hours, so it was like having the place to myself.

When I looked online for places to do beginning snowshoeing, Eagle River Nature Center is one of the spots listed.  I was thinking the main trail to the viewing decks would be solid pack, but some of the other trails would not be.  Turns out they are all groomed somewhat, so after a few minutes of looking silly, and one foray down a hill through a wooded area just to satisfy my inner child and go offroad, and starting along the Albert loop and reaffirming the trails were groomer, I took them off and carried them for the most part.  They might come in handy here on an icy day, but in the soft packed powder, the Sorels alone were just fine.

Despite it being -20C, the river is still bubbling along.  It was a stunning scene.


Up at the viewing decks, it was all still, calm, and snowy white.  I confess I just had the cell phone with me, no camera, and it was struggling to capture a pic that was anything but midnight blue, so this was about the truest to real that I could get in that spot with the light.

Along the board walks the river was battling between flowing and freezing at the surface, with many frozen spheres moving on the surface.


Along the Albert loops, there is an offshoot called the Geological tour.  This was the road less travelled, and made for my snowshoes.  So I did get to put them on and go mucking through deep snow for a while.  I was following the path of a lone skier who eventually gave up as the ski tracks turned to deep footprints.  Definately the right spot for the snowshoes.



It has been a while since I was at the nature center.  I think the lesson for next time is that it's probably a better spot to bring the camera than the snowshoes.  But with blue skies and all this beauty, still a fabulous afternoon stroll.


Oh, and further to my post Bezmars-o, just want to highlight that I am sporting another "buy local" item, likely to be my most frequently worn piece of clothing the next several months -- my Alaska Chicks Company wool beanie.  Super warm and comfy,  I initially gave one as a gift, then decided I needed to go back and get one for me too.  Sunny blue skies, sunny smiling face while walking in a winter wonderland.  Thanks for another great day Alaska!






No comments:

Post a Comment